Feb 23, 2021
In this episode we look at the relationship between sport,
philanthropy and civil society through history and up to the
present day. Including:
Sportspeople as donors
- Big name examples of sportspeople who give generously: David
Beckham, Roger Federer, Cristiano Ronaldo, Serena Williams, Andre
- What drives this high-profile giving? Altruism, or
- Lance Armstrong and the potential risks of making philanthropy
over-reliant on the individual
- Does the fact that many sportspeople’s careers end relatively
early leave them searching for purpose, and can philanthropy fill
- Can philanthropy be partly motivate by a desire to create
positive narrative about wealth accrued through sport?
- Is sport one area where people from poor backgrounds can become
rich, and what does this mean for their approach to
Sportspeople as campaigners
- Are some sportspeople perceived as campaigners simply by virtue
of who they are?
- When have sportspeople campaigned for change within their sport
and when have they taken on wider social issues?
- After many notable examples of campaigning by sportspeople in
the 1960s and 70s, why did we see a decline in the 1980s and
- Are we seeing a resurgence in campaigning by sportspeople, with
figures like Colin Kapaernick, Megan Rapinoe and Marcus Rashford
coming to the fore?
- How do sports fans perceive campaigning by sportspeople?
Sports and Fundraising
- The long history of sporting charity fundraising events and the
role of charity matches in the evolution of professional
- Sportspeople fundraising: from the traditional of testimonial
matches to raise money for players’ retirements to sportspeople
taking on charity fundraising challenges in other sports
- Has the pandemic hit sports fundraising particularly hard, and
what does this mean for charities that rely on running events
Sports clubs and civil society
- What is the history of the relationship between sports clubs
and voluntary associations?
- How did the development of sporting associations helped to
foster civic engagement skills and ideals of mutual aid?
- What is the role of modern sports clubs as corporate
- Is owning sports club a form of philanthropy…?
- What role do clubs play in acting as community anchors and
giving people a sense of shared identity? How can this inform