Dec 20, 2018
In part 2 of our bumper end of year special (episode 40), we
make some predictions for what 2019 might hold...
Politics & Economics
- BREXIT (or not…?)
- General Election?
- UK voluntary reporting on SDGs
- Ongoing impact of austerity
- Local government funding and Local Authorities running out of
- Populism & ongoing challenges for democracy
- Another global financial crash?
Philanthropy & Civil Society
- More critiques of big philanthropy; general default more
critical (also in UK?)
- Focus on think tanks, dark money etc
- Austerity: debating role of charity vs state
- Further closing space issues, including digital angles
(misinformation, astroturfing etc)
- Networked models for social change
- Line between civil society and politics will come under
- Shifting power; democratising philanthropy
- Next big fundraising/charity scandal?
- Continuing tech backlash?
- More funders focussing on algorithmic bias
- Pushback on AI ethics- criticism that it frames the debate in
the tech industry’s terms and allows them to avoid discussion of
- Divergence of cryptophilanthropy and blockchain efforts
- Blockchain will continue to bubble under surface and back
office blockchain use case will be demonstrated
- Self Sovereign Digital Identity will come to the fore
- Charity RegTech applications will emerge
- Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing for data
collection and analysis on charity finances, philanthropy data
- More giving by conversational AI
- More commercial platforms adding giving functionality
- eSports growth, digital “skins” and giving via gaming platforms
- Deepfakes and challenges to online authenticity
- More awareness of personal data bargain
- Charity Data fines